Providing support during the COVID-19 outbreak
The American Family Insurance group is committed – and prepared – to serve our customers while also keeping our people and communities safe. We’ve taken a number of steps to enable us to meet our customers’ needs while making everyone’s health and safety a top priority.
The American Family Insurance group is committed – and prepared – to serve our customers while also keeping our people and communities safe. We’ve taken a number of steps to enable us to meet our customers’ needs while making everyone’s health and safety a top priority. We understand that the effects of this pandemic are far-reaching and evolving and we will continue to closely monitor the situation, make decisions, and adapt as needed.
To date, we have taken several actions in response to the pandemic in support of our customers, employees, agency owners and communities, including:
- Encouraging customers to do business with our companies online and via mobile apps
- Working with customers experiencing related financial hardship to explore options for assistance. American Family Insurance customers in this situation should call 1-800-MYAMFAM (1-800-692-6326).
- Requiring employees across our companies who can work remotely to do so and continuously increasing the number of employees with this capability
- Encouraging social distancing for the small number of employees whose jobs necessitate they be in an office
- Responding to claims remotely whenever possible and evaluating and discussing the safety of in-person claims handling with customers
- Empowering managers and employees to come up with flexible and creative solutions that enable our workforce to care for their families and themselves, while fulfilling their job responsibilities
- Supporting agency owners who want to work remotely and helping them with the technology to do so
Despite volatile financial markets, the group’s financial strength and conservative investment strategy means we have the ability to weather the ups and downs. With strong policyholder equity – which ensures we have the resources to help customers recover from severe weather and other unforeseen events – we will be here for customers when they need us. And, rating agencies Moody’s and Standard & Poor’s recently affirmed American Family’s financial strength.
During this unprecedented situation in our nation, ongoing communication with and support of our customers, employees, agency owners and partners is a top priority, and we’ll continue seeking innovative ways to provide such support.
“So often, we’re at our best when the situation appears to be at its worst,” said Chief Executive Officer Jack Salzwedel in a recent message to customers about the pandemic. “We’re on this journey with you and look forward to supporting you in whatever way we can.”
About the American Family Insurance Group
Based in Madison, Wisconsin, American Family Insurance has been serving customers since 1927. We inspire, protect and restore dreams through our insurance products, exceptional service from our agency owners and employees, community investment and creative partnerships to address societal challenges. We act on our belief in diversity and inclusion by constantly evolving to meet customer needs and preferences. American Family Insurance group is the nation’s 13th-largest property/casualty insurance group, ranking No. 306 on the Fortune 500 list. The group sells American Family-brand products, primarily through exclusive agency owners in 19 states. The American Family Insurance group also includes American Family Connect Property and Casualty Insurance Company, the proposed new legal name of Ameriprise Auto & Home, The General, Homesite and Main Street America. Across these companies the group has more than 13,500 employees nationwide.