Federal infrastructure legislation – applauding bipartisanship and encouraging more
As an insurance organization that partners to invest in climate resilience, economic empowerment, and education and health equity, American Family Insurance supports many elements of this legislation.
In watching lawmakers work the federal physical infrastructure bill through the U.S. Senate and successfully pass it over to the House of Representatives in August, we were encouraged.
We were encouraged by the fact that this legislation will help create jobs and improve lives for all Americans, but we were equally encouraged by the bipartisan collaboration that was required to pass this legislation and keep it moving forward.
As an insurance organization that partners to invest in economic empowerment, education and health equity and climate resilience, there are many elements of this legislation we support, including:
- Expanding broadband to unserved areas of the country, while making it more affordable and accessible to lower-income households.
- Replacing lead pipes and service lines and to ensure cleaner and safer drinking water for more communities.
- Highway and other transportation improvements that would make highways, bridges and intersections safer for all communities, while also improving and increasing public transit options.
- Initiatives that help address climate change and its effects, such as those that lower emissions and help people better prepare their homes for flooding and wildfires.
And now, as lawmakers resume discussions on reconciling the federal budget, we encourage them to pursue additional opportunities to improve lives across all communities, such as:
- A focus on foundational education, including prioritizing four-year-old kindergarten.
- Policies that make it easier for employees to successfully balance work and the needs of their families.
- Measures to address student debt that makes financial security out of reach for many college graduates.
We will continue taking action in these areas through our own business practices, the partnerships and investments in social impact startups we make through the American Family Institute for Corporate and Social Impact, and with our community investment in nonprofit and other organizations through the American Family Insurance Dreams Foundation.
We will also continue our long-time support of research and testing to make vehicles and homes safer and stronger, prevent injuries, save lives and mitigate damage when accidents and catastrophes occur.
We applaud the U.S. senators and representatives from both parties who have worked together and urge them – and lawmakers at all levels of government – to focus on important legislative priorities for all people.
About the American Family Insurance group
Based in Madison, Wisconsin, American Family Insurance has been serving customers since 1927. We inspire, protect and restore dreams through our insurance products, exceptional service from our agency owners and employees, community investment and creative partnerships to address societal challenges. We act on our belief in diversity and inclusion by constantly evolving to meet customer needs and preferences. American Family Insurance group is the nation’s 13th-largest property/casualty insurance group, ranking No. 232 on the Fortune 500 list. The group sells American Family-brand products, primarily through exclusive agency owners in 19 states. The American Family Insurance group also includes CONNECT, powered by American Family Insurance, The General, Homesite and Main Street America. Across these companies the group has more than 13,500 employees nationwide.