American Family signs Hispanic Promise
Company pledges further commitment to Hispanic and Latinx employees, community
American Family Insurance has signed the “Hispanic Promise,” a national pledge to hire, promote, retain and celebrate Hispanics and Latinx people in the workplace and the community.
A program of the We Are All Human Foundation, the Hispanic Promise is an expression of commitment by more than 150 companies and their leaders to create a more inclusive work environment for Hispanics and to make intentional actions to hire, promote, retain and celebrate Hispanics as employees, customers and citizens.
The pledge reflects the company’s already strong commitment and actions taken toward diversity, equity and inclusion. A commitment that includes increasing diverse employees across the organization as part of its strategic goals.
“Signing the Hispanic Promise means we’re committing to an even-stronger focus on Hispanic and Latinx talent, agency owners, customers, employees and communities. We’re proud of our progress toward building an inclusive culture, and we are working to do better,” said Yasir Kamal, vice president of Inclusive Excellence. “I’m excited to join with other company leaders who support the Hispanic and Latinx community.”By signing the pledge, companies promise:
- To create inclusive environments within the workplace and to take positive intentional actions to hire, promote, retain and celebrate Hispanics as employees, customers and citizens.
- To aim to create or strengthen employee engagement, mentorship programs, employee or business resource groups, talent advancement, and an inclusive company culture where employees feel they belong, are valued and have a voice.
- To acknowledge the priorities selected by Hispanic leaders under the Vision 2020, which include access to education, financial empowerment and improving the image of Hispanics.
- As a result, aims to increase the number of Hispanic employees in the company to better reflect the US population, increase Hispanic representation in all levels and all functions of the company, and assess the sentiment of Hispanics in the company.
American Family’s commitment to equity acknowledges that not every individual or group needs the same resources or support to be successful. Here are a few examples of how the company supports our Hispanic/Latinx customers, employees and communities:
- While we have had a multicultural Business Resource Group (BRG) for well over a decade, we recently created a BRG specifically for Hispanic and Latinx employees and have an employee-organized affinity group, Conexiones, for women who identify as Hispanic or Latinx.
- A bilingual customer service team and a bilingual team of claim adjusters assist customers who prefer to speak Spanish when doing business with the company.
- Across our operating territory, multiple agency owners are bilingual or have staff members who can speak with customers and prospects in the language they prefer, including Spanish.
- Frequent events and development opportunities for company leaders, employees and agency owners are offered to build awareness and competency around many facets of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- We partner with organizations serving the Hispanic and Latinx communities, including a national partnership with Prospanica, and in the Midwest with the Hispanic Professionals of Greater Milwaukee, the Latino Chamber of Commerce of Dane County, the Latino Chamber of Commerce of Southeast Wisconsin and several other Latinx professional organizations.
- In Arizona, where we have a large number of employees who are Hispanic or Latinx, we have invested in local organizations such as Chicanos por La Causa and most recently contributed to a nonprofit drive in Phoenix, which benefited thousands of families.
“We are thrilled to welcome American Family Insurance to the Hispanic Promise family. This effort was created for Corporate America to signal their commitment to our community,” said Claudia Romo Edelman, founder of We Are All Human Foundation. “The promise of Hispanics is the promise of America. We need everyone to understand that we are makers, not takers; we are successes, not failures; we have family values and value hard work. Hispanic values are American values. The moment all Corporate America supports us, we will thrive.”
About the American Family Insurance group
Based in Madison, Wisconsin, American Family Insurance has been serving customers since 1927. We inspire, protect and restore dreams through our insurance products, exceptional service from our agency owners and employees, community investment and creative partnerships to address societal challenges. We act on our belief in diversity and inclusion by constantly evolving to meet customer needs and preferences. American Family Insurance group is the nation’s 13th-largest property/casualty insurance group, ranking No. 254 on the Fortune 500 list. The group sells American Family-brand products, primarily through exclusive agency owners in 19 states. The American Family Insurance group also includes CONNECT, powered by American Family Insurance, The General, Homesite and Main Street America. Across these companies the group has more than 13,500 employees nationwide.