5 Easy Steps to Eating Healthier
Pursue your dreams of greater health and fitness.
There are plenty of good reasons to eat and drink healthy.
Nutritious, balanced diets strengthen bones and muscles, and lower the risks of developing chronic diseases. And, good food choices can make you feel better!
Choosing a wholesome diet isn’t complicated, either. Here are five tips to help you enjoy what you eat and drink in a healthy way.
- Small(er) is beautiful. It’s easier to control portions and avoid overeating when you use smaller plates.
- Be smart and selective. Avoid foods that are high in solid fats, added sugars and salt. Try to eat more whole grain foods, low-fat dairy products, fruits and vegetables.
- Drink deliberately. Choose water, fat-free milk, 100 percent juice or calorie-free beverages, and avoid drinks containing sugar or that are highly caloric.
- Make treats special. By definition, treats are not meant to be eaten often. That’s what makes them so enjoyable! Get more out of your treats and watch your waistline by indulging in treats only a few times a week.
- Slow down, listen to your body. Eat and drink slowly, enjoy tastes and textures, and be aware of how you feel while eating. Know when to stop when you’re full.
Get quick, easy access to nutritional data for more than 8,000 foods by visiting the United States Department of Agriculture’s “Food-A-Pedia.”
Check out these related resources: