April Is Distracted Driving Awareness Month
Driving a car safely takes concentration. With so many potential distractions, here are ways you can minimize them so you can focus on your driving.
- Avoid the temptation to use your cell phone by silencing it and stowing it in the glove compartment. If you must make a call, pull off the road.
- Before heading out, secure anything that could move so you aren’t tempted to reach for it.
- Make adjustments to radio, seats, mirrors, climate controls, etc. before hitting the road.
- Finish personal grooming before you start the car.
- Eat meals or snacks before or after your trip, not while driving. If you must eat on the road, pull off the road to a safe spot.
- Make sure children or pets are safely secured before getting underway. If they need your attention, pull off the road to care for them. If a pet is particularly active, have someone else ride with you to help.
- If any activity demands your immediate attention, pull off the road and stop your vehicle in a safe place.
Want more safe driving tips? Check out our Learning Center.