16:56 PM

American Family catastrophe team helping storm victims in Missouri and Illinois


American Family Insurance catastrophe field adjusters are assisting local claims staff contacting customers and setting up appointments to inspect home and property damage.

(Madison, Wis.) A catastrophe team from American Family Insurance is assisting customers in Missouri and parts of Illinois after storms with high wind and an extreme amount of rain moved through the region impacting homes and property.

Local office teams have been busy handling priority property insurance claims and assisting those customers requiring immediate attention. Catastrophe field adjusters have been deployed and are contacting customers and setting up appointments to inspect their damage.

American Family Insurance customers who have claims from storm damage should immediately contact the company's 24-hour Customer Care Center, 1-800-MY-AMFAM (692-6326). They can also report claims to their local American Family agent, or online at


How do I report my insurance claim?

To report a claim, please contact our 24-hour Claim Customer Care Center at 1-800-MY-AMFAM (692-6326) — or your American Family agent.

Do I have coverage to replace damaged trees or remove tree debris caused by the storm?

Homeowners insurance generally does not cover damage to trees or the removal of tree debris from the property. If a tree has fallen on your home and caused damage, however, we pay to cut away that part of the tree so repairs can be made; most policies pay up to $500 for removing that part of the tree from the property. Check your policy for specific coverage.

The storm caused a neighbor's tree to fall on my house? Whose insurance company should I report my claim to - the neighbor's or mine?

Report the claim to American Family Insurance. Since the cause of damage was an act of nature, your insurance policy applies. If the roles were reversed and a tree from your property fell on your neighbor's home, the neighbor's insurance policy would apply.

The storm has cut off power to my home. Do I have coverage for temporary lodging until power is restored?

If the source of the power outage is on your property, such as incoming power lines that become disconnected from your home, homeowners insurance generally covers additional living expenses. This includes reasonable lodging and food expenses. Keep the receipts to share with your adjuster. If you are without power due to a widespread power outage occurring away from your property, homeowners insurance generally does not cover additional living expenses.

The power outage from the storm has caused food in my refrigerator to go bad. Does my policy pay for food spoilage in this situation?

Homeowners insurance generally pays for food spoilage in these situations up to the specific limit in your policy, regardless of whether the source of the power outage was on or away from the policyholder's property. Keep a detailed list of the food items you had to dispose of and share it with your adjuster.

Can I start to make repairs to prevent further damage?

You should protect your property immediately against further damage and theft. Use plywood, tarps or other materials to cover broken windows and damaged rooftops. Keep the receipts of any materials/services that you purchase to make these repairs so your adjuster can review them and reimburse you for expenses covered by your policy.

Who do I call to make repairs?

You are free to select any contractor or repair shop you wish. It is usually best to select one that has operated in the area for several years, is insured and bonded, and will give you a written guarantee for the work performed.